There’s nothing like the smell of fresh bread baking in the oven or that first bite slathered in butter. Einkorn homemade bread sure fits the bill, but Einkorn Flour is a little tricky to figure out.
Einkorn Flour absorbs liquids differently than “regular” wheat. My first loaf was very crumbly, and it fell apart when eating a sandwich. Not good! Obviously, a new recipe was needed.
I tweaked Julia Childs’ white bread recipe after reading useful tips to use when baking with Einkorn Flour from Jovial foods. My husband gave it a thumbs up! The almond butter and jelly sandwich did not fall apart when eaten. Hooray!
Why make Einkorn Homemade Bread?
Einkorn Flour been around 10,000 years. It’s the “original grain” and it does contain gluten, but it DOES NOT carry the protein that causes the gluten sensitivities. Modern wheat has six sets of chromosomes, but Einkorn only has two. Read why I use Einkorn here.
I had been on a Paleo diet for about nine months, but my body was craving bread. I was chatting with a shop keeper in a tea store and she told me about Einkorn Flour. What a game changer!
Now my gluten intolerance doesn’t mean I have to deprive myself the simple joy of eating a sandwich or having a Brat with ketchup, mustard and onions…..on an Einkorn Bun!!
Normal wheat does not agree with me and I’d pretty much given it up. Since finding out about Einkorn Flour I can eat Einkorn homemade bread! Woohoo!! My body just works a little bit better when I eat bread about once or twice a week.
How to make Einkorn Homemade Bread
The wonderful thing about Einkorn flour is you don’t have to use a stand-up mixer. These are the tools/toys I use:
I use a scale because I weight my flour. I use a sifter because sometimes the flour is a little lumpy. The thermometer ensures my water’s not too hot and my dough whisk does the work of a stand-up mixer.
Sift and weight the Einkorn Flour, add salt and set aside. Pour ½ cup warm water (100 degrees) into a large bowl, stir in the yeast and sugar. Let it sit in the bowl for 5 minutes, until it gets foamy. If the water is too hot it will kill the yeast. If it doesn’t get foamy throw it out and start again!
Add the rest of the water and half of the flour then Mix. According to Jovial Foods, “All Einkorn bread dough are no-knead, because excessive kneading does not help develop Einkorn’s gluten.” Avoid using a standing mixer. Try a dough whisk.
Beat 1 egg white with a fork until foamy and add to the mixture. Add ghee or softened butter, mix then add the rest of the flour. According to Jovial Foods,
“Einkorn’s gluten is weaker than normal flour, so when you let a loaf of bread made with dry active yeast rise, don’t let it proof to the old standard “let the dough rise until it has doubled in size.” If the dough rises too much, it will deflate in the oven. Make sure the dough springs back when you press on it with your finger. It is better to under-proof than over-proof with einkorn.”
Transfer the dough into a large greased bowl, turn dough and cover. Try using a shower cap; they work great. The dough rarely sticks to it. Let rise for 45 minutes.
Punch down and separate into 2 pieces. Sprinkle flour generously onto parchment paper. Carefully spread dough into the shape of a rectangle about the size of a piece of paper.
Grease two loaf pans. Cut two pieces of parchment paper the size of the pans and put in the bottom; grease paper. This way the bread won’t stick to the bottom of the pan when removing.
Starting at a short end, fold the dough in thirds, like a letter. Place seam side down in the loaf pans, tucking the ends in. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Let rise 40 – 45 minutes.
Gently brush the top of the loaves with beaten egg white. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes; take the loaves out of the oven and let them rest in the pans for about 10 minutes, remove from pans and let cook on a wire rack.
Slather softened ghee or butter onto the warm bread, enjoy! Einkorn homemade bread freezes very well; just cut into slices and separate with pieces of parchment paper.
Benefits of Enjoying Einkorn Homemade Bread
If you’re like me, having bread in the house to savor, without feeling bloated and guilty, will be a new-found joy. Once you get the hang of making Einkorn homemade bread I’m sure it will become a staple in your home too. If you don’t have time to make bread, try the Einkorn drop biscuits.
This is all part of feeding your body the best fuels it needs for you to live a long, healthy life! I’d love to hear from you. Feel free to post your comment or question on my site.
Did you like this post? Be sure to share it on Pinterest!
EINKORN HOMEMADE BREAD
- 6-6 1/2 cups Einkorn flour 720 -780 g
- 1/2 cup warm filtered water 120 g
- 1 1/2 cups warm filtered water 360 g
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 1 tbsp organic sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 beaten egg whites separated
- 1/4 cup ghee 53 g
- Mix Einkorn flour and salt in a large bowl, set aside.
- Pour 1/2 cup warm water (100 degrees) into a large bowl add yeast and sugar. Mix and let sit for 5 minutes until the yeast becomes foamy
- Add the rest of the warm water and half of the flour to the yeast mixture. Mix
- Add ghee to flour/yeast mixture. Beat 1 egg white with a fork until bubbly add to flour/yeast. Mix
- Add the rest of the flour. Mix with a dough whisk or wooden spoon until no flour is showing. Form into a ball.
- Put the dough into a greased large bowl and turn once. Cover with shower cap or plastic wrap. Let rise for 45 minutes.
- Generously flour parchment paper. Punch down dough
- Split the dough into to two pieces. Carefully spread out the dough onto the floured parchment paper and shape into a rectangle about the size of a piece of paper
- Grease loaf pans, cut a piece of parchment paper and put in the bottom of the pan. Grease. Starting at a short end, fold the dough in thirds, like a letter. Place seam side down in the loaf pans, tucking the ends in
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Let rise 40-45 minutes.
- Beat second egg white and carefully brush the tops of the dough before putting in the oven. Bake 30 to 35 minutes
- Remove the bread from the oven and let rest in the pans about 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack. Slice once the bread has cooled