Growing up I rarely had cauliflower; it just wasn’t something my family ate. Once I figured out how to make Paleo cauliflower mash it has become a favorite!
Cauliflower is so versatile. You can eat it raw, steam it, make cauliflower rice or cauliflower mash. My favorite is the mash.
Introducing more cauliflower into your diet is a good thing. Not only is it an extremely nutritious vegetable, but it has a smooth texture that can be seasoned to your taste.
Why Eat Paleo Cauliflower Mash?
According to Dr. Axe Cauliflower:
“Helps reduce cancer risk, fights inflammation, decrease the risk for heart disease and brain disorders, provides high levels of vitamins and minerals, improves digestions and detoxification, aids in weight loss, helps balance hormones and preserves eye health.” Read more here.
One on the best things about eating cauliflower is you can eat seconds or thirds without feeling any guilt because eating more is actually better for you. I have dry eye; my eye doctor recommended eating more Vitamin K. Cauliflower is loaded with it; we’re now eating it weekly.
How to make Paleo Cauliflower Mash
The secret ingredient to awesome mash is roasted garlic. Making roasted garlic is actually very simple to do. Turn the oven to 425 degrees. Cut the top off the head of garlic, swirl a bit of olive oil onto the head then wrap it in parchment paper and foil.
Close up the garlic and roast in the oven while the cauliflower is steaming for about 20 to 30 minutes. Take out of the oven and squeeze the cloves out. Use 3 to 4 cloves in Paleo cauliflower mash and save the rest for other recipes. It’s just that easy!
Cut up the head of cauliflower and steam for 25 to 30 minutes. Make sure it’s fork tender. Once it’s cooked spoon the cauliflower into a food processor. Add the roasted garlic, ghee, cumin, salt, pepper and ¼ cup of coconut milk.
Blend until smooth. Depending on the size of the cauliflower you may need to add more coconut milk. Slowly add more; you don’t want to make the cauliflower mash too thin. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
This is our permanent substitute for mashed potatoes! When served with company the reactions of guests are always positive. The smooth texture and flavors are always a hit. Paleo cauliflower mash works well as a crust for casseroles. Flip to the next page and try Paleo Bison Casserole.
Did you like this post? Be sure to share it on Pinterest!
PALEO CAULIFLOWER MASH
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped in large pieces
- 3-4 roasted garlic cloves
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup organic coconut milk, full fat less or more depending on the size of the cauliflower
- 2-3 tbsp ghee
- dash cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut top off the head of garlic. Put a dab/swirl of olive oil onto the garlic. Enclose the head of garlic in parchment paper then foil roast in the oven for about 20 - 25 minutes
- Cut up the head of cauliflower and steam for 25 minutes or until fork tender
- Put the steamed cauliflower, cloves of roasted garlic, cumin, salt, pepper and ghee into a food processor. Start processor and slowly add the coconut milk until smooth; a similar consistency to mashed potatoes.